Sunday, July 5, 2009

7 Weeks Later.

So here I am after 7 weeks of being in a relatively foreign country and I've come to one realization: that I am neither American nor Chinese. Culture and backgrounds are things that interest me. After seeing how culturally different the people from Mainland China are really like, I've come to realize that I am not Chinese. Certain things are just so basic such as seeing life as a collective group rather than as a single This collective mentality is lost upon me and my American upbringing. However, to overlook the fact that I have also been raised and lived in Asian societies for more than a third of my life would be to say that I am American. Then again, I am not Asian-American because I'm just so vastly different from all my culturally Asian-American friends (Obviously, I am an Asian that holds an American passport). I am at the crossroads between two cultures, attempting to determine which route I belong on. So I've come to conclude that I am what I define as a cosmopolitan: a person that is associated with many cultures, but is not rooted in one.

Although this I believe does define me, it isn't a bad thing. I have experienced so much culturally and seen so much. I have encountered so much more than most people see in their lifetimes. I have been able to experience the East and the West. I am able to see the differences between their backgrounds and the way they think. In this way, it is a great experience to be exposed to so much. However, it leaves me with questions. Who am I? What defines me?

No comments:

Post a Comment