Monday, November 29, 2010

The Cinematic Orchestra

Awesome stuff.

The Cinematic Orchestra is a 7-piece Electronica and Jazz outfit. I'm not sure how I'd categorize them, but they intertwine characteristics from a plethora of genres. They are known for their ability to mix together the samples of turntables with instruments such as a double bass, saxophone, trumpet, guitar and drums. In their live performances, they often improvise throughout a lot of their music between all the samples, but it's often difficult to tell where the improvisation starts and ends. For some groups, improvisation may mean complete chaos, but for this group, it seems so natural and fresh.

Recently, I picked up "Every Day". What sets this album apart from the rest of the music is the DJ and the keyboards. I love the samples that are in each song, especially the sample on the song "Every Day". I can't tell if the voices are sampled or are actual people, but about 6 minutes into the song (I know, it's a long song, but more than worth it.) There's a group of voices that sing and just blend in so well with the rest of the song. All in all, a very solid group with a unique sound that people should listen to atleast once.

It's worlds different from what you hear on the radio, but give it a listen and a little time. It's a little strange on first listen, but I think you'll find it worth it.

The video here is of the song "To Build A Home". It's a little different from the rest of their stuff, but I love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment