Sunday, March 8, 2009

Friendship

This past week has got me thinking about friendship. What I have here may be something that is apparent and obvious to you. However, it struck me as obvious, yet illusive. Friendships are not made by two people simply being at the same place at the same time, nor are they made by two people with similar interests. No, they are made by the shared experiences of two or more people. By experiencing the same thing, people are able to share a small piece of what makes up each of them - after all, people are created through a series of events. This is probably why so many people still keep in touch with their friends from all parts of their life.

This hit me when I was with two of my friends this week, out in the back country of upstate New York. These are memories that we will share and cherish. It is not something that will simply be dismissed. Even if the memories are depressing, we are still able to peer into a small part of one another's soul just because we were there together. The people that I've known throughout my lifetime have influenced me one way or another - whether they've made me a better person or a worse person is a different question. However, I am able to look back on what we've done together and smile, knowing that they have shaped me into who I am this very day. So I suppose this is my own little thank you to the world for making me who I am and for making me who I will be. Hopefully I'll have good reason to be thankful for the future.

2 comments:

  1. i like the thought that we form friendships out of shared experiences rather than friendships of convenience, interest or for self advantage

    i'm sure each of us is made up of all the people that have been in our lives....i wonder if all the rest of your posts will be this thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =)
    i understand my comments aren't constructive. hah.

    ReplyDelete