Saturday, November 7, 2009

Regret

There are numerous times I've done things that I really shouldn't have - like that time I chased my brother down that hill by our house, or that time I didn't realize what I had said, or that time I grabbed the hand of someone thinking it was my grandfather... The list just goes on and on. Initially, I regret them. Then, I learn to live with them and realize that all these things have caused me to become the person I am today. So I don't really regret them, but at the time I do.

Is it possible to live life without regret? I don't think it is. Most of the time, we regret something that we've done initially and then realize what it's made us in retrospect. Thus, we don't regret it, but it is because we have seen where it has brought us and how we've grown through the experience. Personality is brought about by these sets of regrets and joys that we experience. Who we are comes from this emotional roller-coaster of what we have done in our lives.

The only way that we can never regret is if we had a road map - which we were satisfied with - to our life and understood that every step we took brought us closer to our destination. If it did not bring us any closer to our destination, then we would regret what we've done. Too bad, we don't have a personal GPS to tell us what to do in every situation. However, if we did most of us would just follow that road map and would never be able to experience things for that they really are. They would all just be another thing that we expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment